This document serves as a checklist to outline the information needed for EDG installations. Please use this guide to pull in appropriate IT resources and gather needed information prior to installation. The links in this guide will be very useful for new customers. Please read them completely.
1. Read the documentation for server installation at https://doc.topquadrant.com/7.0/server-installation/. Details on the below items will be found in this document.
2. Provision Tomcat server with appropriate sizing for users and data, plan for growth. Follow the guidelines provided upon purchase. Contact TopQuadrant support if you need a new copy of this information.
3. Decide where the workspace, properties file, and vault will be located. The workspace contains configuration, connector and data files.
4. Ensure Tomcat has access to write to the directory for the workspace. For Debian based Linux distributions, see the notes for using Tomcat9: https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/tomcat9/blob/master/debian/README.Debian.
5. Server must be running supported Tomcat and Java. See https://www.topquadrant.com/products/supported-platforms/
6. Decide on authentication mechanism, LDAP, SAML for users, OAuth for APIs, Tomcat users.
If LDAP, have LDAP groups ready and know the following:
- Username for server connection
- Password for server connection
- User pattern string
- Role definition base
- Role name identifier
- Role search string
- Membership search string
- More info at https://doc.topquadrant.com/7.0/server-installation/
If SP-Initiated SAML SSO, have the following ready:
- SAML will only work with secure connections so set up HTTPS on your instance
- Path to IDP Federated Metadata URL or a copy of the file
- SP URL/Entity ID
- Attribute mapping URIs for username and role and optionally display name and email
- Backup authentication method for APIs such as OAuth, LDAP or Tomcat users. (TopBraid Explorer as well as Send Projects to Another Server use APIs)
7. Decide on active database storage options. TDB (Shared TDB recommended) will be contained in the workspace. RDBMS will be in a separate Oracle or MySQL database. If using RDBMS have credentials ready for write access to DB. You cannot change this later without creating a new environment workspace.
9. Implement a backup strategy for the workspace and/or database. Backup often. https://doc.topquadrant.com/7.0/backup-and-restore/
10. If implementing more than 1 server (for instance Explorer) both should have the ability to talk to each other.
11. Obtain the .war file and license file from TopQuadrant Jira ticketing system. If the ticket is closed, you can still access it in the portal.
12. After reading the installation guide and preparing the above information, you will be ready to deploy EDG application, setup users and rights management. See https://doc.topquadrant.com/7.0/server-administration/ for Rights Management assistance. See https://doc.topquadrant.com/7.0/governance-model/ for using the governance collection to control user permissions as well.
13, Follow the rest of the administration guide for additional configurations in EDG. Please go through the EDG Configuration Parameters and Server Configuration Parameters in Server Configuration prior to use. These have importance configurations such as SMTP parameters and Default Notification configuration for email notifications.
- Monitoring software (such as Splunk, Zabbix, ELK)
- Update the log4j.xml file in EDG/WEB-INF with appropriate parameters
- Create a playbook/runbook for deployment and installation of EDG for future use