Introduction to EDG
TopQuadrant’s TopBraid Enterprise Data Governance™ (EDG) is a flexible, web-based solution that addresses data governance needs in enterprise environments with heterogeneous data stores, data processing, and applications.
TopBraid EDG supports integrated data governance across the ever growing numbers and types of data assets and governance needs. It lets you capture business glossaries, data sources, conceptual models or ontologies, reference data, business applications, policies and more. Further, it lets you build relationships across all of these items – because connections are key to data governance.
TopBraid EDG, is a rich set of interconnected knowledge graphs expressing knowledge about how data is used and managed in the enterprise ecosystem. These integrated knowledge graphs are ready to be enriched with your enterprise specific knowledge. When this enrichment takes place, your enterprise is ready for implementing comprehensive data governance
TopBraid EDG is highly configurable. EDG defines a variety of asset types that it can govern. These definitions are model-driven. When installing EDG in your organization, the models can easily be changed or extended. Additional asset types can be defined. Assets are organized into asset collections that also can be of different types.
Features of TopBraid EDG
- An Intuitive Graphical User Interface – with auto-completion, drag and drop, rich text editing, search and filtering, accessibility across all browsers – providing an easy-to-use environment for both business and technical stakeholders
- Flexible data and relationship modeling – handles both complex and simple data models and their relationships across domains; allows modeling, storing and using not only codes, but all relevant associated information
- Auditability – every change is logged and time stamped, change history can be searched, usage records captured where reference data is used
- Control over versions – virtual work-in-progress copies of reference datasets allow parallel development of versions and enable controlled publishing, review and approval workflow
- Collaboration – through access and accountability based on roles, support for task assignments, statuses and issues
- Shared semantics – providing the ability to define and share meaning of all information elements globally and in the context of specific use
- Repeatability of on-boarding – capturing processes and best practices for on-boarding of external reference data
- Wide and diverse distribution – support for a variety of interaction patterns (for example, batch or real-time) and integration approaches
- Data quality – offering intuitive forms for creating data validation rules
- Integration – with third party systems and Linked Data clouds via Web Services interfaces and APIs
- Easy extensibility – configurable user interfaces, reports, meta-model, import, export, web services and more including deep customizations using TopQuadrant’s TopBraid platform
- Standards – built-in support for W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) standards for data and data model interchange on the web such as RDF and SPARQL
- Enterprise-readiness – scalable and robust architecture with LDAP and JMS integration
Available Asset Collection Types
We recognize that in ramping up a data governance program, different organizations may have differing priorities and starting points. With TopBraid EDG, you can start incrementally.
For example, you may start using EDG for just business glossaries or reference data or you may first focus on metadata management. After the initial start, you can extend your scope to governing other assets when you are ready to do so.
To support this comprehensive but staged approach, TopBraid EDG provides focused packages, available for use as an initial configuration of EDG. Each package can be used on its own or in any combination with the other packages toward your targeted scope of information governance. Further, several add-on modules are available to extend the use of TopBraid EDG even more.
Licensing and Enablement
The availability of any asset collection is determined by what is (a) licensed and (b) configured under Server Administration. To install a license or to view the currently licensed features, see Setup > Product Registration. To configure which licensed collection types are currently enabled or disabled, see Setup - EDG Configuration Parameters.
For general licensing information and available asset collections and packages, see the TopQuadrant website.