Upgrade and Migration
Before upgrading from an older version of EDG, consult this documentation for migration tasks that might apply to your upgrade. The migration documentation keeps your data and the EDG application functioning correctly after an upgrade, please pay close attention to those details. You can upgrade from any previous release straight to the current release, but you’ll need to use the migration documentation starting at the version you’re currently on and following along to current release. For example, if you upgrade from version 5.5 to 6.1 you’ll need to follow the migration notes for 5.5 to 6.0 and 6.1.
In order to upgrade versions follow the same steps as the installation with a few minor additions. Please make sure to take backups of everything (workspace, database, tomcat installation, etc.) first. Also upgrade on your test/development environment successfully before the production environment gets upgraded. This is important when testing customizations to the UI or models especially.
1. Stop Tomcat, make sure the process is fully stopped
2. Backup and remove the /edg directory and edg.war file located in [Tomcat Root]/webapps/
3. Place the current releases’ edg.war into the webapps directory
4. Clear the /work, /temp directories located in the Tomcat Root directory
5. Backup and clear the logs directory
6. Start Tomcat (the current war creates a new /edg/ directory)
7. Copy over old copy of web.xml (from old edg/web-inf directory) or use the deployment descriptor to create a new web.xml using the same authentication and roles etc as before.
After this follow any of the migration steps that are required after upgrading and test this development server thoroughly before upgrading your production environment.